Gas Line Repairs and Installments
Signs of a Gas Leak
Natural gas is a safe and efficient way of operating appliances such as stoves, ovens, fireplaces, and furnaces. However, without proper installation and routine maintenance, certain hazards such as leaks can arise. Gas leaks can injure or kill people if left unchecked. In rare cases, the gas can ignite, causing an explosion. For this reason, the state of Missouri Legally requires that a licensed professional team handle any problems with your gas pipes. Watch out for these signs of a gas leak:
- By itself, natural gas is odorless, but a distinctive-smelling chemical called mercaptan is added as a safety feature, to produce that rotten egg smell.
- Gas escaping a pipe under pressure may create sounds. They may vary from quietly rushing air to a significant hissing.
- If dust or curtains are moving in an unusual way when windows are closed and central air conditioning is turned off, gas could be creating the turbulence.
- You have a headache or nausea, blurry vision or exhaustion for no apparent reason. This is a byproduct of natural gas emitting carbon monoxide in a closed environment.
In the Event of a Gas Leak
If you suspect that you have a gas leak, don’t panic. Follow these steps to remain safe:
- First, leave the location where you detected the smell. Do this before calling for help. While you’re leaving, don’t turn electrical devices on or off, and never ignite a flame near the property. Be sure to leave the door open on your way out.
- Call 911 or call Spire’s 24/7 emergency line. Never assume someone else called for help, and never report a gas leak via email or social media.
- If you don’t own the office or residence, it’s a good idea to notify the property owner or manager in case repairs need to be made inside.
- Steer clear of the area until you’re told it’s safe by a gas safety professional (Spire employee, police, fireman or another first responder on scene).
Gas Line Repair Services
After the authorities inspect your building and verify that it is safe to enter, your next call should be to Bieg Plumbing. As a professional plumbing company, we are trained and certified to deal with these issues. Our first priority is safety:
- We use advanced detection equipment to sense the presence of natural gas.
- Bieg Plumbing follows all codes and industry practices when installing and repairing gas lines.
- We only use approved materials to repair and replace gas lines and pipes.
Gas Line Installation Services
We can also help when you get a new appliance that utilizes gas. Rather than connect the lines yourself, give us a call. That includes:
- Outdoor gas grill
- Water heater
- Pool heater
Safety is paramount when working with gas pipes. Bieg Plumbing is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week to handle any gas pipe issue you may have. Call us at 314-487-4564 or leave a message via our website contact page. We’ve been serving the greater St. Louis area for 60 years.