Call us today to set up an appointment with a plumbing expert who will assess your situation and provide honest, trustworthy solutions. Here are variables to consider before installing a disposal:
- Model. Standard sizes include “, 1⁄2, 3⁄4 and 1 horsepower motors. Higher-powered models have larger capacity food-grinding chambers. For many households, a 1⁄2 HP motor will be more than sufficient for normal daily usage. If you want to be less concerned about what goes into the disposal, consider a higher-powered option. Note: Never put fats such as oil or butter down any garbage disposal.
- Access to a power outlet. Garbage disposals need access to a power outlet underneath your sink. If your sink does not have easy access to one, an outlet will need to be wired.
- Proximity to your dishwasher. If you have a dishwasher next to your sink, the garbage disposal will need to be attached via a tube. This allows food particles in the dishwasher to be transported to the disposal for easy grinding and safe removal.
Have you already purchased the model you want? No problem! Bieg is happy to install owner-furnished equipment and we always offer free estimates. Don’t hesitate to contact us.
Repair and Replacement
If your current garbage disposal is old or having issues, consider repair or replacement. These are common issues:
- Damage to the blades. If something such as a metal kitchen utensil makes its way into your disposal while it’s running, it can damage the blades. Many models do not have replacement blades available so full replacement usually is the only option.
- Slow sink drainage. If your sink is not draining properly there could be a clog in your disposal.
- Leaks. If you notice water underneath the sink, your disposal could be cracked and leaking. A full replacement is recommended for these cases.
- Disposal not starting or blades not spinning. Sometimes when you flip on your disposal, it will either not work at all or you will hear a mechanical buzzing but the blades will not move. Your unit may be broken or have a stuck flywheel. One of our certified plumbers will be able to diagnose the problem and provide options.
Bieg Plumbing has served the St. Louis area for nearly 60 years and our red trucks are a mainstay around town. We’re here to provide you with the best service possible at a reasonable price. If you need any assistance with garbage disposal issues, call us today and let a Bieg professional size up the situation. You’ll be glad you did!